Post-Doc Position Available at the DOE’s Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posting Title: Postdoctoral Research Staff Member
Job #: 100961
Job Title: Postdoctoral Research Staff Member-Energy Conversion and Storage Group
Organization: 9788 Computational Engineering Directorate: Engineering
We have an opening within the Energy Conversion and Storage Group for a Postdoctoral Research Staff
Member. The Energy Conversion and Storage Group seeks to gain fundamental and practical insight into
combustion processes through numerical simulations and experiments and develop predictive
combustion models and software that are fast enough to impact the engine design cycle.
- Reduce the time, resource cost, or increase accuracy of combustion simulations by designing efficient
algorithms guided by applied mathematics and physics.
- Develop and apply numerical tools to simulate high efficiency clean combustion engine regimes and
novel combustion systems by combining multidimensional fluid mechanics with chemical kinetics.
- Conduct detailed analysis of high efficiency clean combustion engine regimes and novel combustion
- Document results and findings for internal and external publication.
- Manage time and communication with limited direction in a fast-paced, multitasking environment.
- Utilize technical strengths to perform independent research and develop new business opportunities
for internal and external sponsors.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and
- Recent PhD in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
- Demonstrated comprehensive training and experience in two or more of the following strengths; fluid
dynamics, heat transfer, reactive chemistry, numerical methods, and machine learning.
- Comprehensive knowledge in analysis, modeling, and simulation tools (e.g. CAD, CFD, FEA).
- Desire to bring new knowledge to the field and ability to successfully deliver.
- Ability to thrive autonomously: be pro-active in solving inevitable road blocks, have a persistent
attitude, and self-train when necessary.
- Demonstrated fundamental verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a
team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary engineering team.
- Experience in writing technical reports, journal articles and high-quality research proposals.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Experience with C++, Python, R, Linux, Unix, GPUs, and massively parallel algorithm development.
- Experience with experiment design and data acquisition.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a
post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None
More information and how to apply here: http://careers-ext.llnl.gov/jobs/5271311-postdoctoral-research-staff-member-energy-conversion-and-storage-group