Director, Applied Research, at National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), USA
NFPA has an exciting opportunity for an experienced research professional to join our team. The Applied Research Director will support NFPA’s strategy as a fire safety information and knowledge provider by analyzing, curating and communicating relevant research in support of our mission.
- Identify and monitor emerging research relevant to NFPA’s mission and the needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Curate and analyze relevant research in support of NFPA’s strategic objectives and present to internal and external technical and non-technical audiences.
- Develop and advise on appropriate communications mechanisms to meet stakeholder needs, including publications, electronic media, and others and utilize to raise awareness of relevant research.
- Represent NFPA and our stakeholder interests in the research community through participation in research planning, conferences, and research panels as appropriate.
- Seek funding sources, prepare proposals and manage funded projects in support of the above activities.
- Plan, prepare, budget, and oversee expenditures to support the above activities.
- Lead and participate in cross functional teams in support of the above activities.
- May supervise staff, setting goals, managing performance and managing career development for direct reports.
- Demonstrated strong research, analytical and communications skills.
- Must have a minimum of a master’s degree with an applied research focus plus at least ten years of experience in the fire, electrical or related safety fields or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate technical material clearly in written and spoken form for diverse non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment and provide and utilize feedback effectively.
- Ability to embrace and execute on the NFPA core competencies: organizational awareness, collaboration, and accountability.
- Prior supervisory experience a plus.
- Normal office working conditions
- Some travel required
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here.
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.
Bottom of Form
National Fire Protection Association is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. NFPA participates in e-Verify.